Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Little House in the Big Woods - Barbie Log Cabin Made From A Box


The Frog Princess playing first thing after breakfast in her pjs.


The "barn" she built...notice the bear in the metal pot by the pig pen.
They were cooking him for dinner.


Pioneer Barbie "Ma" cooking at on her open fire.

Welcome to our little house in the (not so big) family room. The Frog Princess and I recently finished reading our first Laura Ingles Wilder book and she is digging the pioneer lifestyle. So, instead of building the world's largest Lincoln Log cabin (which I may still do for her birthday with the Freecycled lincoln logs I scored last month) we crafted this little Barbie love shack out of two empty xerox paper boxes.

Yes, that is a fireplace built out of half a kid's shoe box (wrapped in brown construction paper) with lincoln "logs" and a battery operated tea light "fire" Yes, that is a black construction paper stove with a paper towel tube chimney. And yes...those are real packing tape windows with working shutters to let in the light but keep out the bears and wolves. Yes, I know the cat is on the kitchen table trying to eat the roasted chicken. What can I say, she sets her little world up with quite a dose of reality learned from our own household!

Time invested: One little sister's afternoon nap on a Saturday while mom and the Frog Princess glued strips of brown construction paper "logs" to the outside of the box.


Result: Hours of play with pioneer Barbies trying to get through the harsh winter here under the Christmas tree without getting eaten by plastic bears or wolves hiding under the couch. Great plot lines and use of imagination and learning to tolerate Mini-Saurus barging in...and "Mooooommmmm!! She's wrecking everything I just set up!"

Finally, a life long (I hope) love of great books. We found three more from the series at the used book store this weekend and can't wait to dive in as soon as we're finished reading our second-hand Colonial Williamsburg-era books about Felicity from the American Girl Doll book series. I think I may have a hoop skirt sewing project in my future!

Yes, that's the felt play mat as the front yard and pond where the pioneer Barbies bathe and get their drinking water much like the Godavari river but a wee bit smaller!

8 comments:

MBB Founder and Editor Denene Millner said...

Okay I LOVE this! How cute! When I was little, I used to build all kinds of houses like this... it was just so much more fun to imagine lives and decorate for my little doll friends. You've inspired me to have my little ones build their own "little" houses!

KGW said...

I just love the homemade stuff you and your kids do. I'm definitely going to have to reference you when I have my own.

Jorgelina said...

A very creative house of dolls. Pretty blog.
A greeting from Argentina

Kelli @ Gohn Crazy said...

That is so darn cool. :) Love the imagination.

Izzy 'N Emmy said...

How awesome is that! You guys did a great job.

Kimberly said...

You are SO creative. Seriously, I love this!

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi,

I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Parenting Community on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com

Erica said...

How cute is that. Did you make the outfit for the barbie? My daughter would LOVE that outfit!! We are reading through all the little house books right now. We borrowed the cookbook and she wants to make some recipes. I found the entire series at a thrift store in a "series box" and that's what she got for Christmas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...