Loading...

Friday, May 22, 2009

Art History: Leonardo da Vinci


For our final AIS (Art in the Schools)
kindergarten lesson of the year, we studied the work of Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)

I showed the kids a portfolio of his work and talked about how he was a
true renaissance man best known for his art, scientific inventions, and engineering.
One of the most talented people to have ever lived.

I asked each of the children to draw:
1. A portrait (self or a friend),
2. An animal study (a drawing looking at plastic animals I brought in),
and 3. Draw your own invention.


Afterwards, we went back to the carpet and shared our inventions with one another.
I LOVE the ideas the kindergarteners came up with!!

Here's a list of some of their inventions:

A Pancake Maker
A Bug Feeder
A Stinging Box that Zaps Bad Guys
A Dog Feeder ("so you don't have to remember to feed your dog")
A People Lifter (to reach stuff)
A Planter Waterer
A Clock that Traps Bad Guys
A Snake Feeder
A President Dress Maker and a Coin Maker
A Time Machine
An Elephant Bomb Sucker Upper


FYI: Leonardo da Vinci conceptualized:
a helicopter, an armored tank, concentrated solar power, a double hull,
and outlined a rudimentary theory of plate tectonics....
you know, in his spare time.

At home, ask your own mini-Leonardo to draw an invention,
or make something out of your invention box.
It might just be the start of something really big!

If you missed my post about our invention box, catch it here!

4 comments:

Miko's Girl said...

My favorite invention is the bug feeder!

EntertainingMom said...

Fabulous... LOVE it! my pictures of our Money Picnic are up... come check them out... and the bridges they painted were so darned cute!

Have a great weekend!

Clemencia said...

Hi, I recently discovered your blog, and I think is lovely, I have an award for you in my blog :)

Tan Family said...

Fabulous idea! I love the kids' invention ideas.

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...