Thursday, August 13, 2009

Daddy Camp: Re-Cycled Crayons Using Solar Energy

Our Final Product...
Kind of like cookies with chunky morsels
but waxy...
and not as tasty!

You know from reading this blog that we're a
"greenie family".
We've made re-cycled crayons in the oven.
So why not harness the power of the sun,
save some electricity,
and melt crayons the old fashioned way.

During Daddy Camp,
Daddy and the girls tried tested this theory
by breaking up crayons,
placing them in metal cookie cutters
on a tin foil covered plate.

At first, the sun wouldn't cooperate
and was hiding out behind some clouds.
Eventually the sun
came out to play
and the girls got to see
the results of their hard work.

Unfortunately, the results were mixed.
The wax did not stay inside the cookie cutter molds,
it leaked out into puddles.

They were much thinner
and more delicate than our
previous batch of re-cycled crayons.

Once we set them to cool overnight
in the garage, (you could speed up the process in the fridge)
the puddle blobs snapped right off and we had clean
crisp edges from the cookie cutters.
We saved them for our
next batch of re-cycled crayons.

The tops stayed chunkier than we would have liked
but the bottoms (where they touched the plate)
were smooth.


I like the way the oven crayons looked better
but... I did those in a Wilton heart mini pan.

I want to repeat this experiment
with candy molds or one of our ice cube trays.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

I love your Rainbow Camp! Recycling crayons is so much fun! It's a bright sunny day so we might just give this a try!
It's great having Daddy home, isn't it?! We've been enjoying lots of Daddy time, too, this summer.
Have a great day!
Lisa

mrsb said...

Awesome! We used to make the kind in the oven, too, but never thought to use solar power!

Now the kids are too old to want to color with crayons. I miss that fun!

Georgine said...

You are so cool! Your kids must just love you. I better get me act together and try this!

Mama Mel said...

What a great idea! I'll have to try this sometime. I'm sure it would be super easy with our AZ heat! It's basically an oven outside...

Punky's Mamma said...

Nice!

If only it were not freezing cold & rainy here... and if only I had a multitude of crayon stubbs.... ;)

Ashley said...

"daddy camp" is the cutest idea.... so sweet! my hubby would love that. you guys do SO many fun things! I can't wait until my daughter is old enough!

Ashley said...

I'm following now too!

Elise said...

I think this would work well in our Australian Summer. Daddy Camp is such a "beauty full" idea.

Patsy said...

Such a fun day for your girls. Great activity!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...