Sunday, August 9, 2009

Gardening With Kids - Sweet Potato Vine

Earlier this summer we visited our farmer's market
and stocked up on yummy local food.
Part of our haul that day was a basket of sweet potatoes.
We ate MOST of them.

Steamed (like a baked potato - but yummier and orange!)
in the microwave.

Sliced and tossed with olive oil
in the oven to make sweet potato fries.

We even grilled some one night on the grill in the backyard.

But alas....two of the sweet potatoes
were forgotten
on the kitchen counter.

They languished in a corner behind
watercolor paintings,
bills,
and my daughter's lunch box
until one day...

I was actually cleaning the kitchen
(I know!)
and found our lonesome potatoes.

They were getting tiny purple buds.

I wondered if you could just put them in water
like you do with a bulb
and get them to grow into a plant.


A-Ha -- A Science and Gardening project for the girls!
(read: Mom's slacker house-keeping
leads to educational experiences)
Woo- hoo!!
Sorry compost, you don't get my
sweet potatoes that easily!!

We inserted some tooth picks into
our two sweet spuds,
suspended them in glasses of water on the kitchen counter
(near the Aero-Garden and sink window
to get some light...)
low and behold -- they actually grew into plants.

The girls thought it was the
coolest thing ever!
We have transplanted them to our garden and
they are going
GANGBUSTERS.

I think we may even be able to dig them
up later and get more sweet potatoes.

Now that is cool!
Recycling at it's finest.

11 comments:

Georgine said...

You are so smart! I would've fed the compost instead. Must remember this. Would it work with onions and garlic, I wonder?

Mama Mel said...

This is so cool! I will definitely be trying this next time I have leftover sweet potatoes. My father-in-law is always bringing us groceries (food is his way of showing love), and he always brings us way too much of everything... including sweet potatoes! As you said, great way to recycle! :)

Melody said...

I have some red potatoes in my garden now. Can wait to dig them up! I'm definitely going to ude sweet potatoes next time!

Mozer said...

Very cool! We usually start growing them and then forget to water---lol!

Just wanted to let you know that you are the winner of Sequential Spelling Level 1! Please contact me via my blog and I'll get it sent to you this week :)

Lisa said...

Ha, we are doing the exact same thing right now. We have a gorgeous sweet potato growing in our kitchen windowsill.

Lisa ;)

Happy anniversary btw!

Mom and Kiddo said...

I just took a photo of our renegade sweet potato two days ago to post on my blog! (haven't got to it yet, though) Yours has gotten much bigger than ours.

Sarah said...

That is so awesome! I am totally going to attempt this in the next couple of weeks. What a great post!

Rebecca said...

Awesome!!

jlbee said...

i totally remember doing this as a kid! love it! thanks for the reminder!

i cant sew said...

thanks for visiting my wee blog...your blog is wonderful and i could tell you were a teacher as i scrolled down and each post was more educational than the next :p your girls are very lucky to have such an artistic and caring mum.
smooches %*_*% rosey

Valerie said...

That's so funny! I'll have to remember to slack off on my housecleaning duties more often to get more educational experiences like this!! :-) Very cool.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...