Loading...

Sunday, March 7, 2010

* Rainbow Birthday Party Highlights: No Mess Tie-Dye Hankies



The girls and I decided 
to test drive a new art project 
before the Frog Princess'
"Rainbow Art and Science" 
Birthday Party. 

I first saw this great idea over at


We did tie-dyeing with 
permanent markers
and rubbing alcohol.






Similar to the results you can get with coffee filters,
magic markers,  and water
(for those of you crafting with younger children)


The results were a huge hit and we DID end up
doing hankie tie-dyeing
as one of our craftivities (crafty activity)
with her friends at her birthday party this weekend.


1. Start with a glass jar or small juice glass
(we used glass baby food jars)

2. Stretch your fabric 
(in this case, we used clean white, cotton handkerchiefs)
around the mouth of the jar or glass and 
secure with a rubber band.


3. Draw concentric circles on your fabric, with 
permanent markersMix up your colors!

You can make solid lines OR  dotted lines (each makes a different effect)


4. When you've got all of your circles on there (as many as you want)
ask an adult
to apply a few drops of rubbing alcohol
to the center of the design
with an eye dropper. 


The end result is pretty cool and the alcohol evaporates/ dries quickly. 

We decided to use ours as 
a funky blanket for our dolls,
I think they look like  cool hippie rainbow flowers. 

They would be cute if we added stems and leaves to them.
I'm dyeing to make a flower quilt this way!

I have no idea if these will wash out if we launder them...

All I know is this project was 
a huge hit with the kids at 
her 7th birthday party
and the parents got a good chuckle
out of a table full of 6 and 7 year olds raising their hands and 
saying, "I'm ready for more alcohol!"

(one of our guest's rainbow tie-dye)
More party details to follow!

15 comments:

Redbonegirl97 said...

When I first saw the picture I thought it was a cake. In you could do that to a cake would be really cool.

Tiffany
http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com/

artsy_momma said...

What a neat idea!

Molly said...

Please be sure to post a little update when you find out if it washes out! I recently bought a bunch of white dresses, tops, and skirts at a consignment sale with the intent of dying them fairly soon. This would be a fun technique to do to one of the tops!!

If you don't feel like updating, will you please e-mail me to let me know? yoothesecond at yahoo.com

Miller Moments said...

cool idea!

Erika said...

I wonder if this would work with fabric paint markers? I will let you know what I discover. Thanks for sharing! This looks fantastic!!!

Jen said...

Such a neat idea!

Jen

trixi said...

What a great craft activity! I'm going to get some rubbing alcohol tomorrow.I can't wait ti try it out.

Preschool Playbook said...

These are just gorgeous and look so easy to do. Thanks for this wonderful idea!

gina said...

Love this idea- and so easy to do!!!

Crystal Escobar said...

That is so cute and so fun! I love that idea!

Amie Plumley said...

you have been busy! Love these hankies - will have to make in my sewing club! thanks for sharing.
amie

Yarni Gras! said...

fun idea! We did a cooking party for my daughter's 12th. I premade 10 aprons and the girls used fabric paint pens and fabric markers to decorate them. It was a big hit! Color just makes everyone happy!

Youthful One said...

Please update - did you discover if these are truly permanent? Or did your designs wash out?

We'd love to try this, but on shirts, so we really don't want them to wash out!

W0 X 0F said...

Permanent markers generally are permanent on cloth. It doesn't hurt to iron them or throw them into the dryer for a few minutes to heat set them though.

Me said...

Loved your tie dye idea so much I featured them on my blog, thank you!

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...