Friday, May 7, 2010

Art History: Faith Ringgold Paper Quilts

We made paper quilts
with fabric and wrapping paper scrap borders
for our 
Art in the Schools Lesson on the artist
Faith Ringgold

(You can check out Ms.Ringgold's blog here!)



Our lesson was inspired by her

We started the lesson by asking each child
(in grades Kindergarten through 6th)
 to trace a 1 inch border around a piece of paper
(like a picture frame).

Then we asked them to write a sentence
inside the frame,
"I would like to fly over...... because....."

and draw a picture of themselves
flying over that place.

Then, they glued fabric, paper, and 
gift wrap scraps around the border
and we glued all of the class 
quilt squares to colorful fadeless paper
for a FANTASTIC hallway display
in the Elementary School.

(alas...I did not have my camera
so these photos were all taken with my phone
and don't do them justice!)

I'll let the kid's work speak for itself. 


"I would like to fly over the sunset to see all of the colors. "

"I would like to fly over our planet because
I would like to see a hurricane"

"I would like to fly over Florida because 
I would like to see Disney World"

"I would like to fly over Disney World to see Space Mountain"

" I would like to fly over the moon because
I am the cow's follower."

"I would like to fly over space"

"I would like to fly over the world because
I would like to see all of the Oceans and the clouds"


Kindergarten quilts without sentences...
love the bright colors!


Happy (paper) Quilting!

2 comments:

Shawna said...

love making quilts with kids....it really brings a sense of unity!

Toilet Paper said...

I would really teach my son on how to make a paper quilts. My son would really like this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...