Loading...

Monday, January 17, 2011

* Preschool At Home: Ground Coffee Sensory Box



I set this Coffee Grounds Sensory Box up for "C" last month and it has been a big hit.
I added real spoons, a small whisk, some cups, measuring spoons, 
and an empty hot chocolate tin.

with Coffee Beans = Fun!  (FYI - He IS the coolest preschool teacher ever)


So what would you do if you were cleaning out a kitchen cabinet and came across
a large package of coffee grounds pilfered from a hotel room on a vacation 2+ years ago? 
Hypothetically speaking of course!

I mean, I would NEVER have coffee grounds in a big bag
taking up valuable kitchen cupboard real estate
(in a flavor of coffee we would never drink) buried so deeply in the back of a cabinet
that I had no idea they were there! 
Not me, my kitchen cabinets are spotless and very well organized!

"C" likes to play "coffee shop" 
while I unload the dishwasher. She makes a delicious cafe latte!


Warning: it does stain clothes and hands so we wear an apron and keep a rag near by
to dust off while we're playing. 


(You'll also have some sweeping to do when you're done playing.)
But, the Coffee smells heavenly and the grounds are a fun texture to play with.


She's the cutest Barista I know. 
Happy Playing!

Fondly,
pink and green mama, MaryLea



Best toys for toddlers

12 comments:

miss merril said...

What a fun sensory idea. Hmmm...I will need a lot for our large sand table in the classroom but I'll start keeping tabs of my coffee grind and bean situation. The aroma an added bonus. Thanks for sharing.

Gina said...

Wonderful idea! We'll definitely be using it when we do our letter 'C' unit! Now, where, oh where are we going to find some free coffee? ;)

Thanks for sharing! I love your blog!

Jessica said...

My daughter is only 17 months old, so this is out of the question for now!! But, I love reading about your ideas for when she is older! Even though I secretly want to keep her 17 months old, I also can't wait to try these fun ideas out with her when she is older! :o)

Rebecca said...

MMM, i bet this sensory bin smells amazing!

Shauna said...

Your blog is amazing! I just love reading about and looking at all of your wonderful and creative ideas. I am so glad I found your website! I can't wait to exlpore some more!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Fabulous idea! Love it! Kerri

bronwyn said...

I just found your site and I'm glad I did! I love this sensory box idea. I do something similar to this with my daughter but not in a box. She calls it "tea flavors". I give her a handful of tea bags and she pours them out into a bowl and mixes them up. She'll add whatever is around - water, cooking oil, coffee grounds, whatever. She scoops it up and distributes it between a few bowls. It is her favorite thing to do. I like the idea of her being able to get her hands in there more. Will have to try this. Thanks!

Amber Dover said...

Thank you so much for this idea. It's a life saver :)

Michelle said...

Oh, tempting! ;)

Thanks for adding this in the last week's High paw linky! Hope to see more great ideas added this week too! :)

Nic and Mike's latest research project said...

For those looking for a source of coffee: I've saved the used grounds from my coffee maker for a week or 2. You can dry it out in a pan in a warm oven or freeze it and play with it later like mud. Added bonus that the the coffee grounds likely has very little caffeine once its been brewed.

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

@ Nic and Mike -- YES! we do the same thing here, my kids love to play with it in the backyard then we just dump it in the garden or compost pile when they're done!

Warmly,
Pink and Green Mama

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

@ Nic and Mike -- YES! we do the same thing here, my kids love to play with it in the backyard then we just dump it in the garden or compost pile when they're done!

Warmly,
Pink and Green Mama

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...