Tuesday, February 1, 2011

* Kid's Collections: Rocks, Minerals, and Fossil Collection



Our little "E" is quite the Naturalist.
She's also a bit of a collector.

Sea Shells.
Rocks.
Minerals.
Fossils.
Geodes.
Shark's Teeth.

Cool things found in the backyard, at the beach, on the side of the road.


Most of our seashell collections live in big baskets like this.


"C" has her own little collection of gem stones, shells, and rocks. 
She built this little box at one of those hardware store Saturday morning
build-it workshops. 


This is "E"s wooden caddy of Geodes, and "cool rocks" from our backyard
(she's found a couple of fossils back there!)


For Christmas this year, my Aunt Linda (the Geologist) 
collaborated with my mom and dad (Grammy Jill and Grandpa Dallas)
to create the coolest Christmas gift ever... a "real" rock and fossil collection. 


Aunt Linda provided the rock samples, notes about all of them,
and a jeweler's loupe to study the samples.

Mom took photos and made labels. Dad found all of the boxes and containers
in the right sizes (I think he went to the Container Store three or four different times!)

I filled all of the boxes with "fluff" and taped the labels 
to each box with my assistant "E".


Now, we have our own
Little Natural History Museum right on a shelf in our family room.

It's pretty cool and has been the highlight of several recent play dates!
It was her very favorite Christmas gift this year
(along with her Kid's Farmer's Almanac
The Old Farmer's Almanac for Kids Volume 2
and her Rock Tumbler from her other set of Grandparents!)


I love this drawing "E" made for her thank you note to her Great Aunt --
we'll add little scientific illustrator to her list of talents.

Happy Collecting!

Fondly,
pink and green mama, MaryLea


7 comments:

Michele said...

What a great gift! I love this idea! My boys would go crazy over it. I love the rock tumbler idea. I will have to look into those. Thanks!

The girl who painted trees said...

What a terrific present! We are doing a geology unit right now. I wish I'd thought of purchasing a jeweler's loupe for it. http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/2011/01/igneous-sedimentary-and-metamorphic.html
http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/2011/01/rock-books.html
http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/2011/01/rocks-rocks-rocks.html

se7en said...

Oh this is exactly how my bedroom was as a child...the ultimate naturalist!!! I totally love all the collections... love them!!!! Love them!!!

blueviolet said...

I love the different ways you choose to display the collections. Absolutely wonderful!

Rebecca said...

What awesome collections! I love how cool they all look in their boxes!

Miko's Girl said...

Your kids are fabulous collectors - I love your storage solutions for their collections. G & C both have seashell collections (of course, we live in a beach town) - each shell has it's own story. They also have collected acorns, leaves, rocks, and fossils.

Adrienne Brown-David said...

I have an avid rock, fossil, gem and geode collector here too! We have the same storage boxes and books for her to research and label each specimen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...