Loading...

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

* Homemade Personalized Ballet Shoe Bag


My sweet little "C" (age 4) is starting her very first ballet class this week. 
She's SUPER excited, her mama kinda is too!

(Back story: I studied ballet/jazz/tap/toe for 11 years and did a bit of dancing in high school and college
Her daddy and I are taking Latin and Salsa dancing this summer)
We went on a special shopping trip to the store
to pick up her leotard, tu-tu, shoes, and tights. 
Every little dancer needs a special bag to keep her clothes and shoes in
 and my little "C" is a "purse girl." 
So, I made her a pink dance bag of her very own.


I made one of these 5 years ago when her big sister took her first dance class - 
she quit after a year but it was fun while it lasted. 
I still have her cute little bag and some adorable photos for my scrapbooks! 


First, we needed a good photo of "C" wearing her special ballet costume, 
with a neutral background.
We did a mini photo shoot in the hallway against a white door and tried a couple of poses. 
We picked her favorite pose, then printed it out on T-Shirt transfer paper.
Because we were planning to use a dark pink bag, I ironed the image onto some white muslin
(so it wouldn't be too dark.) 
If you are using a lighter colored bag, you can save yourself a step 
and iron the picture directly onto the bag!


Ironing on the kitchen granite works like a charm with the transfer film.


Out-of-focus, close-up photo of the "Ironed-On-Muslin Ballerina." 
Sorry, it was a bad camera day


Then, I carefully trimmed the ballerina and used 
Fabric Fusion glue because I didn't feel like sewing it onto the bag. 


After she was glued down, 
I hand-sewed on a bit of pale pink tulle to make a little 3-D tu-tu for her.
(Sorry about the side-ways photo!)
On her sister's bag, I even added a silver glitter glue tiara
but because C's hands were over her head, there wasn't enough room. 


Then, I found some pale pink satin ribbon in my stash, it reminded me of my toe-shoes 
so I tied a big fluffy bow and hand-sewed it to the bag so it wouldn't come un-tied. 


Another view of the ballerina so you can see how her skirt is attached.


Voila! The finished ballet bag, and my little ballerina ready for our first class. 
I have a dance teacher friend from college who is expecting her first daughter soon,
I'm thinking she's going to need one of these little bags too!

Happy Crafting!

Fondly,
pink and green mama




3 comments:

Candace said...

So cute! I saw a dance bag I have been meaning to cope with a skirt across the whole bag...but I LOVE the way you personalized it here.

Aneczka said...

The bag is lovely, like it's cute little owner :)

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Thanks Ladies! It really is sweet to see her bopping off to class with her bag in tow!

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...