Tuesday, July 12, 2011

* Homemade Flower and Leaf Press


Here's how we made the flower and leaf press
in our "Make your own Nature Explorer Kit"

We don't want to deprive any mini-naturalists (or their mommies)
of summer fun so here are the
super easy directions...


Cut scraps of cardboard
(I re-used a box from our garage)
into squares or rectangles (pick one, not both!).
You will need them to all be the same size.

I used my metal yard stick and a box cutter
on my big self-healing mat.
I cut one set to be 7" x 5" for the Frog Princess
and the other set to be 5" square for Mini- Saurus.

I cut 7 sheets of cardboard for each press.
You can cut more if you want to...
but my hand got tired
and I ran out of cardboard!

Then I let the girls decorate the cardboard
that would serve as the front and back covers
with my nature stamps and colored ink pads.

I then raided newsprint from one of my college sketch pads
and trimmed it all to the same size as the cardboard.
You can also recycle pages from an old phone book.
Allow several sheets to be sandwiched between the cardboard layers.
I'm assuming you could use a newspaper
but I did not know if the ink would smudge off on the the flowers.

Stack them all up, lasagna-style with
layers of newsprint and cardboard serving as
the noodles and sauce!

Bundle it all up
with rubber bands running
horizontally and vertically for equal pressure.


Ta-da!!
Easy Peasy flower (and leaf) press!

By the way, if you want to be super simple
you can just use a phone book
and sandwich the flowers/leaves
in pieces of waxed paper.
Mark your pages with tabs (like mini colored post-it notes)
so you'll know where to find your hidden treasures in a few days.


This post is part of the Smart Summer Challenge.
find out more about the Smart Summer Challenge

Go visit our other hostesses, 
Candace, over at Naturally Educational 
and 
My friend Amy, over at TeachMama.com.
We're posting fun ideas all week
to explore Back Yard Science Week with your own kids!

Please come back and join us Friday, July 15th
 for our weekly Smart Summer Linky,
share YOUR own Smart Summer Challenge ideas and posts
with other parents and teachers.
You'll be entered for a chance to win a $150 Gift Card from Rosie Hippo

At Rosie Hippo http://www.rosiehippo.com, you will find beautifully handcrafted wooden toys, toys made from organic fabrics, toys from individuals, companies, villages and cooperatives around the world, and books and games that stimulate creativity and independent thought. We offer toys that will evoke a sense of fun, curiosity and wonder for that special little one in your life. And all of our toys are produced under conditions that are fair to workers and kind to our environment.  Kim Bloom runs Rosie Hippo, inspired by her successful battle with cancer, her son Ethan's delightful curiosity, and her interest in child development. Read more of her ideas on her blog http://blog.rosiehippo.com


Fondly,
pink and green mama

2 comments:

Alicia C. said...

This is wonderful! Ever since I was a little girl, I've wanted a flower press. I always thought you needed screws, pieces of wood, screen, etc. to make one. I love this idea and it's simple enough for my 2.5 y.o. son to do! Plus, I may just make a mini version to carry when we go for walks - I'm one of those people who is always finding 4-leaf clovers!

Melissa Taylor said...

I'm blurry eyed so you may have said this and I missed it but how long?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...