Loading...

Sunday, April 1, 2012

* Easy Kid-Friendly Way To Dye Easter Eggs!


One of our new favorite Easter craftivities is easy egg-dyeing.
We'll be working on ours this week as a spring break craftivity.

"C"s preschool teacher let me know about this little gem last year,
and I WISH I had known about it years ago!


The directions for easy tie-dye eggs come from Family Fun Magazine

Start with hard boiled eggs.

These photos are from last year, Aunt "D" and I hard-boiled a dozen eggs each
the night before so we would have plenty of blank canvases!


Then, set each child up with a colander over a sink
or, in our case, a shallow pan/dish.

Place one hard-boiled egg in the colander
and splash with some white vinegar.


Add a drop of food coloring.
Then, add another drop from one other color,
and gently swirl the egg around in the colander to distribute the colors. 

Yellow seems to make the best follow up color 
for most eggs if you don't want them to get muddy.


We did have success with a few eggs with 
drops of red, yellow, and blue spread out to make rainbows!


Swirly Girls.


Let the colors sit for a minute to dry,
then rinse the egg in your colander under cool water in the sink. 


Big cousin "E" showing little cousin "A" how it's done...

Repeat for your next egg.... how easy is that?!


They'll tie-dye and come out beautifully and no two eggs will be alike!


My sweet hubby helping the girls. 


Wishing you and your family an
Egg-stra fun and Easy Easter!

Fondly,
pink and green mama,





11 comments:

Ms. Tonya said...

I love this tie-dye way of coloring Easter eggs. We are definitely going to try this this week. Thanks for sharing!
Tonya
www.stringskeysandmelodies.blogspot.com

Nifferdoodle said...

LOVE this and will have to try. Any suggestions for making dye on brown eggs more vibrant? I can't find white eggs over here in Ireland! That's one thing I miss about the states. :)**

Tiffany said...

Love this! :)

Also, off topic question- where did you guys get your green table?! I'm trying to find a table for the kiddos that can actually fit 3-4 kids around it with enough table space for each to do an activity.

Sonya at The Three Bears Get Crafty said...

Just today I was wondering how to help my Baby Bear dye eggs without him pouring the colors all together and making nothing but muddy-brown eggs. This is PERFECT!!! Thank you so much!

Raimie @ The Prairie Hen said...

Dear PGMom,
I love the glimpse of your room there... the fun pops of colors and girly fun sprinkled everywhere... especially with your hubby sitting right in the middle with his trio of princesses! :)

Love,
R

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

@ Raimie -- thanks! My sweet hubby is a good sport and completely outnumbered by the girls in his life!! These photos were taken at my sister in law's house and we were celebrating my niece's 2nd birthday hence the girlie decorations : )

-MaryLea

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

@ Tiffany --

The green table is from Ikea -- I love it, we've had it for years. My sister in law loved it so much she got one for her house too!! It's fantastic.

-MaryLea

Growing a Jeweled Rose said...

These are beautiful! I love the idea of using a colander too!

Melodie said...

We just made these. Thanks Mary Lea. Great idea! Much better than those store bought egg dyes. :) And less difficult than making your own.

sunnymum said...

Thanks for the new idea! Had been dreading dying eggs with all the cups of hot water for each color. This worked out well for us. Kids are happy with their creations and clean up was easy too.

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

I'm so glad to hear that you all tried it and loved it!

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...