Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ice Cream Theme Sensory Box


"C" and I made this Ice Cream themed sensory box
this fall and I'm finally getting around to post photos of how we made it!


We started by making some homemade pom-poms with yarn and a salad fork.


Wrap the tines with yarn a bunch of times, then tied off your yarn in the middle. 
Slip it off the fork and use scissors to cut the looped ends. 


"C" is a good fork wrapper!


Pom-poms make fancy bracelets too!


Then, we made felt popsicles by gluing two pieces of felt together on a popsicle stick. 


Felt Popsicles! They don't drip but they will make 
your tongue fuzzy if you lick them.   


We made ice cream cones by cutting out a piece of stiff brown felt.
We traced a dinner plate to make our circle and cut it out with scissors.
Then, we cut it into thirds. 


I rolled up each piece into a cone shape and glued it with a bit of hot glue.


Felt cones with homemade yarn pom-poms!


Then, we put it all together in a box with some scoops,
mini ice cream containers (saved from our recycling)
some store-bought pom-poms, 
and (empty) some party favor ice cream-shaped bubbles.


I added some kid friendly chopsticks to practice "tonging" with the mini pom-poms. 


Happy Customer!



Fondly,
Pink and Green Mama

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Adorable!!!!

Amy said...

This is so great! I am going to visit friends this weekend and will be bringing supplies along to do the cones and posicles with their 3 year old. Thanks! :)

applesandabcs said...

This is so cute I want to play in it too! This would be great for my kindergarten students!

Michelle
Apples and ABC's

Mª Reyes said...

Tienes un gran blog, como maestra te felicito. Te sigo. Besos desde Barcelona (España)

Trudy said...

Pink & Green Mama MaryLea,
Just a courtesy note to let you know I have pinned your "Ice cream theme sensory box" post to a pinterest board with a collection of learning resources and activities to do with ice cream. You can view my Pinterest boards at http://pinterest.com/fingerpprojects You may like to check back from time-to-time as the boards grow.
Warm regards
Trudy

Chrissy said...

I run a home daycare and this idea is just wonderful! I didn't have brown felt so I used white and drew the waffle pattern instead. Also, I colored small Styrofoam balls to be snow-cones. Thanks for the inspiration.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...