Monday, June 18, 2012

Scissor Practice - Paper Cutting Box


My baby girl has graduated from Preschool,
time to start a new chapter and get ready for Kindergarten this fall. 

Now we have some time to fill with fun mommy and me activities.
I like to keep a bit of a "school like" schedule for the girls throughout 
the summer, we call it "mommy school."
The girls like the routine and having some activities to keep them engaged
between the stretches of free play time in the yard,
at the pool, and with friends. 
We'll spend plenty of time creating and "playing" in the art studio as well!

One thing I like to do is set out some materials as a bit of 
an invitation to play, learn, and explore.
Today's post is one of those "centers."

I put together this Paper Cutting Box for "C" 
to practice her scissor and hole punching skills.
It was Pinspired by this Pin from my Preschool Fun Pinterest Board.
She loves it!


I already had the divided box, I believe I picked it up in craft
department (near the beads) at Walmart or JoAnn's. 
Then, I just cut up a bunch of colored paper into different sizes 
and included some of those perforated border strips from my scrapbooking stash.
Then, I added a nice pair of children's scissors and a hole punch.

I set the box out on the art studio table with a tape dispenser,
some crayon rocks, and a bucket of Crayola Twistables. 

It didn't take long for "C" to discover it.
She has been very busy cutting and taping little abstract sculptures
and making tiny books for her dolls and stuffed animals.


Because it is portable she has even taken it along to the family room
for some cutting practice while she watches Sesame Street. 

It has been a fun and easy way for her to create and explore
and get some wonderful fine motor practice in the process!


And... of course, it had to be Rainbow : )

Fondly,
Pink and Green Mama, MaryLea


9 comments:

Erica said...

What a fun and inviting box of paper. I am sure it would be well-loved at our house too!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

I highly recommend it Erica!

Chrissy Leiberan-Titus said...

That looks lovely MaryLea! I love the bright colors. We're also going to stick to a somewhat "school-like" schedule this summer. Lil' Miss calls it "Cool Camp". We'll have some fun centers like this too- when I taught preschool I used them and I called them Port-a-centers. LOL. Very similar idea! Love it! Thank you for sharing!
Chrissy

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

That sounds like fun Chrissy -- and I love the way your daughter calls it "cool camp"! : ) The girls and I made a trip to the craft store today to stock up on a few "essentials" for "mom camp"

: ) - MaryLea

Amy said...

I love this box! popping into the pound shop as I know they have one like this. My daughter will love it and we can use the cut up pieces for crafts. Thanks :)

aneverydaystory said...

Lovely MaryLea.
My little guy loves 'snipping' and so does my 14month old! This is a great idea for having his scissors out but out of the reach of his little sister. I think I even have one of these containers. Going to make one today.
Kate

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

That's a great idea Kate, I didn't even think about the keeping it away from younger siblings idea! : )

-MaryLea

Jackie H. said...

This is such a great idea. We have a younger brother who doesn't need scissors but it means my four year old has had very little time for scissor practice because I keep them up high on a shelf! This will be the perfect solution!!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

That sounds perfect Jackie!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...