My oldest daughter, "E" recently had to make a Solar System
booklet as a report for her 4th grade science class.
Since her mama was a printmaker and bookmaker in her pre-mommy days,
"E" wanted to make a fancy "star style" book like one of mama's old books.
So, that's exactly what we did.
My good friends at Pentel recently sent us some new art supplies to play with.
"E" and I loved these tube watercolor paints from Pentel.
We used a couple of our old Corelle plates as paint palettes
and squirted out two different color wheels to work with.
The great part is that the paints dry on the plate and all we have to
do is use a water brush to re-wet them!
I set up our art studio table with large sheets of arches watercolor paper
and we used a spray water bottle to soak the papers
then we made big color washes on each sheet.
While working with a wet-on-wet technique we blended colors
from the same families and added some salt and spritzed the paint with the water bottle.
Very fun technique and we thought it gave the paper a good
"space-y" and "gassy" planet look!
Loved all of the colors of the papers and the paint on the palettes.
Rainbows and color wheels make me happy!
We left our papers to dry in the art studio, they were really wet!
"E" drew a picture of each planet with our new Pentel markers,
the colors are bright an vivid and she's been enjoying them for making
pictures and comics as well!
"C" and "E"'s log cabin drawings -- just for fun, not part of the Solar System project.
See how vivid the colors are?
We love them -- thank you Pentel!
She added a bit of watercolor pencil to the outside to give it a little pop of color.
For the covers, we re-cycled some foam core board from another project
(pardon the weird dots and marks) and glued it to some beautiful
handmade paper from my old printmaking in college days stash.
Folded down the corners to make it nice.
Glued the whole thing together with this handy little Elmer's glue
pen from my friends at Elmer's glue (thank you Elmer's!)
We set the covers aside to dry for a day,
underneath a heavy book -- wrapped in waxed paper so they wouldn't stick.
Then, after all of the watercolor papers were dry,
we tore them down into rectangles (because I forgot to before we painted them),
folded each page in half and glued the pages together - wrong sides together
(white sides out, painted sides inside).
To hold the glue, we wrapped each page in waxed paper so they wouldn't get stuck
then clipped the whole bundle together with binder clips.
Very high-tech gluing method....
Then, we stuck the whole glued together book under
a pile of papers and books on my messy desk to dry overnight!
When the covers were dry, "E" glued some chip board
(sparkly) scrapbook letters to the front cover with Aleene's Tacky glue.
Her whole report was typed on the computer and printed onto card stock.
Then, she glued each little fact and co-ordinating planet illustration to the colorful pages.
The book was stitched on the binding with embroidery floss
to reinforce it and glued together with a ribbon running across
both covers so you can tie the book open into a star shape or closed.
Hope her teacher likes it, I love it!
Update: Her teacher loved it and plans to show it off
at a school open house later this spring. Way to go "E"!
Pink and Green Mama,
All opinions expressed are my own.
My family received art supplies and products from Pentel and Elmer's glue.