Friday, July 5, 2013

Star Wars Peg Dolls - DIY Toys from the Craft Room

Note: This is NOT a Sponsored Post. Disney and Star Wars are trademarked and did not sponsor this post.
None of the art supplies or companies/products mentioned in this post paid me. All opinions expressed are my own.

My 6 1/2 year old daughter is currently obsessed with Star Wars. 
She loves the robots, the lightsabers, the space ships, and the strong Princess role-model. 
 On our trip to Disney Land this spring, she purchased a few R2-D2 souvenirs 
and can frequently be seen sporting "bear ears" or Princess Leia-style buns on her head. 

I saw a few of the movies as a young child so I had vague memories of them, 
but really needed a proper "Star Wars" education so we decided to do some research!
First, we checked out several books from the library. 
Then we looked at Star Wars themed crafts, parties, and fun ideas on blogs and Pinterest.
Finally, we borrowed a set of DVDs from our neighbor and watched Episode 4 as a family.

The girls have been playing "Star Wars" for the past two weeks. 
Their daddy's childhood toys are squirreled away in a closet at his parent's house (out of state),
so until we can get them shipped here we're making do with some homemade toys!
We made a set of lightsabers with some pool noodles from our garage by
 wrapping the base of the noodles with black and silver duct tape.
We've also made several paper airplanes as X-Wing Fighters and such.


Then, we came across these lovely peg dolls by Filth Wizardry
and "C" begged me to make her some.

So, we raided our supply of wooden peg people from the drawer in the craft room.
We've resolved to only use art supplies that are in the house this summer.
(Not a problem, since I have a small art supply hoarding issue!) 

Supplies I used for this project:

Wooden Peg Dolls 
(purchased from Michaels and JoAnnes in the wooden craft area)
Washable craft paint 
(various brands from my stash: Apple Barrel, Americana, Folk Art, and Delta)
Sharpie and Bic permanent markers
(Regular fine line black and brown and a few Metallic - silver, gold, and copper)
Clear Acrylic Spray Sealer 
Note: I think I should have used Mod Podge instead -- see notes below.
Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue (my favorite) 
Scrap of black fabric for Darth Vader's Cape. 
Scrap wood bits for Princess Leia's buns, R2-D2, Han Solo in Carbonite, and Yoda's ears. 
Gold Spray Paint for C-3P0.



Awkward Family Portrait:
Princess Leia, Darth Vader, and Luke Skywalker - the "happy" family. 

I have a few tips based on my own experience making these.

* First, they will take longer to make than you think. 
Mine were a two day project. Your family may starve while you make them. 
Dinner was delayed for two different evenings due to me painting these little guys in the late afternoon!
* You have to work in steps and layers of paint. 
For example, while you paint the heads you hold the body, then when the head is dry, hold the head while you paint the body. 
* Be Patient - this one is hard for me!
You have to allow each layer of paint to dry completely before you get out the sharpies or the sealer.
You also have to make sure the glue is finished drying before you paint it or it will crack. 
* You might want to use Mod Podge instead of Clear Acrylic Spray Paint sealer 
if you decide to seal them because the permanent marker details will bleed and run
if you spray too closely to the peg dolls -- whoops! 
I did seal my peg dolls because I didn't want the layers of paint to chip while the girls play with them.


Luke in his flight suit, C-3P0, R2-D2, and Yoda. 

For R2D2, I glued a wooden ball onto a little wooden bucket. 
Yoda was a smaller peg. For his ears, I cut a small wooden mustache shape in half and glued 
them on (one at a time,  with several hours of dry time in between) with Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue. 


Darth Vader and 3 Stormtroopers.


Han Solo trapped in Carbonite. 
We used a small block from our wooden blocks and glued on a wooden disk.
He's painted with layers of black and gray 
then I added some metallic silver accents with sharpie and paint. 


For Jabba the Hutt, I used a big wooden egg. 
He looks like a creepy Humpty Dumpty frog to me. 



Yoda, Chewbacca, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Luke Skywalker.
 Han Solo reminds me of Flynn Ryder  
(or, as my kids call him "Han Solo Cup"!)


The whole group. 
Thinking we need to make a Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, Ewoks, and some creepy Sand People. 
I'll share them with you if we do!

Happy Homemade Toy Making! 
Warmly,
Pink and Green Mama, MaryLea
Follow Me on Facebook.
Follow Me on Pinterest. 
Follow Me on Instagram. 



5 comments:

Mary Catherine said...

These are awesome! My son and I may need to make them this summer. Heck, I want a set myself! Off to pin this. Thanks so much for sharing it with us! :)

cookiert said...

Wow! My 5 year old daughter is crazy about Star Wars and she will LOVE these. I gotta get my butt back to Michael's. We just made Han in Soaponite from the Star Wars craft book last week.

Melanie said...

These are amazing!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Thanks ladies! Yes, it turns out that I'm a giant Star Wars geek and I'm having as much fun making and playing with these toys as the girls are!!! : )

Sarah @ Frugal Fun for Boys said...

I showed these to my son, and he thinks they're awesome! Especially impressed that you have Han Solo in carbonite. Now he's going to expect me to make some - not sure if I can get them to look that good!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...